Sunday, December 14, 2008

Where's the American version?

Arab poetry contests vie for a million dollar prize.

Coming to an American channel near you... I'm guessing "never?"

Courtesy of imdb.com Studio Briefing.

Arab Poetry Contestants Stand To Win $1.4 Million

11 December 2008 1:39 AM, PST

Abu Dhabi television launched the third season of Million's Poet Wednesday night, a kind of American Idol for writers of Nabati poetry in which 16,000 poets from Kuwait, Riyadh, Jeddah, Amman and Abu Dhabi entered. A group of 100 competitors selected by the judges was pared down to 48 in Wednesday's first episode. The winner will receive a prize of $1.4 million, with an additional $2.8 million split among the second- to fifth-place winners, making it one of the richest TV talent competitions in the world, if not the richest. Nabati poetry, also sometimes called Bedouin poetry, dates to the 16th century and is written in the dialect of ordinary people in the Peninsula region and reflects their lives. Million's Poet was created by Sheik Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the crown prince of Abu Dhabi, who himself writes Nabati Poetry, some of which he has posted on his website in English and which he reads on camera in Arabic.

2 comments:

Nance Broderzen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nance Broderzen said...

I tried to find Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan's website, but stumbled upon Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum's instead and didn't realize, thus the above deleted comment...but wanted to post an example of Nabati poetry, so here is one by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum:

It is a tradition in Arabic love poetry and songs to use the masculine pronoun or possessive term (he, him or his) when referring to a woman

I am patient...

I am patient with them, and patience endured

I may for my patience receive favour

Because of a beloved for whom the heart weeps

The flood of the eye did not cease

For him the heart in its lair quivered

Seeing the prey high in the sky

Of the finest complexion, in his appearance perfected

Like roses in a flowerbed blossoming

He has upon him like nightfall descending

When his locks tumble to his shoulders

His eyes, the eyes of the kohled lanner

And a cheek lightens lightning its sheen

Of trim abdomen and slim waist

A body embellished as detailed

I forever cry over him and summon

And my heart suffering did its anguish intensify

And his love permeated all through me

And crept through all of my veins

Invaded me your love and love may kill

Suffers in love my heart and in its loss

I love you above all others

Obey and hearken with care

Oh my friend, one such as I suffered a great deal

Invaded by love potently and apace

Worries deep in my heart accumulated

And depart solitarily or in bursts